Monday, October 25, 2010

Work and Emotion

I have recently become depressed about my work. The problem is that I have two supervisors to help me with my PhD work. One of my supervisor is both technically and ethically inferior and tries to drive my research into unwarranted directions. My other supervisor happens to be a brilliant researcher and a well recognized leader in his field.

I have struggled to manage both my supervisors. Reading Montaigne and literature and stoicism, I have come to realize that work or anything in particular should not be taken seriously.

I have to get back to my old routine of working for a fixed number of hours no matter what, and to be a stoic in the face of adversity. The highs and lows should be dealt with equanimity and use intelligence as a guide rather than emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment